Chemical Burns in the Workplace

Whether you are employed in a scientific capacity or a more typical office atmosphere, you may work in close proximity to a variety of dangerous chemicals. Accidental exposure to chemicals can result in serious injuries known as chemical burns. Despite the name, chemical burns are distinctly different from traditional burns. For the sake of your health and safety, it is imperative to understand how to treat these injuries when they occur in the workplace.

After a workplace accident resulting in a chemical burn, it is important to explore the possibility of financial compensation. A Fayetteville workers’ compensation attorney can be a useful resource in this regard. Contact the sympathetic lawyers of Scudder & Hedrick, PLLC, at 910-488-1600 to discuss your case.

Responding to a Chemical Burn

When certain chemicals interact with human skin, they can cause a severe reaction known as a chemical burn. These injuries are called burns because the painful sensation they cause is similar to that caused by fire or intense heat. However, chemical burns generally require a different response than fire burns. The proper response to a chemical burn consists of the following steps:

  • Identify the chemical involved
  • For most chemicals, apply lukewarm water to the affected area
  • For carbolic acid and phenol-based chemicals, use rubbing alcohol instead of water
  • For sulfuric acid or hydrofluoric chemicals, wash the injury with soapy liquid or a baking soda solution
  • Contact a poison control center or other emergency medical service as soon as possible

Chemical burns are potentially very serious and may require costly medical treatment. Even if the damage is not permanent, recovery could take weeks or months. Thus, workers’ compensation is generally available for people who suffer chemical-related accidents in the workplace.

Contact Us

At Scudder & Hedrick, PLLC, we stand with injured workers in their time of need. Contact our knowledgeable Fayetteville workers’ compensation lawyers at 910-488-1600 to find out more about your rights and options under the law.